Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Sports Wrap Up

photo by Deborah Son
The Cypress High School sports teams have wrapped up their winter seasons with success.

The Cypress High School’s Varsity Boys Basketball team powered their way to the CIF Division 2A quarterfinals on February 13, 2024. Although they lost a close game with a score of 55-57, the players continued to strive and pour in their best efforts. They are 1st in the Empire League with 9-1 as co-League Champions tied with Crean Lutheran. Overall, they have a win of 23-7. 

On February 7, 2024, Cypress High School’s Varsity Boys Basketball team won against Beaumont High School with a score of 67-59 in the first round of CIF. Transitioning to February 9, 2024, the Cypress High School’s Varsity Boys Basketball team won against Knight High School with a score of 75-50. 

Ryan Gov and Michael Wright were two players who shined in the CIF Division 2A quarterfinals. Wright scored 25 points, made three 3-pointers, nine rebounds, and two blocked shots as a 6-5 forward. Gov scored 13 points, six rebounds, four assists, and four steals. 

The Cypress High School’s Varsity Girls Basketball team is 2nd in the Empire League with 6-4. Their overall win is 14-14 and their last game was in the 2024 CIF Southern Section Girls’ Basketball Championships Division 1. Cypress went against Santiago and ended with a loss, 28-87 on February 8, 2024. 

Throughout the season, the Varsity Girls Basketball team has poured their skills into the game against Kennedy with a score of 50-38 on January 26, 2024. Morgan Mok is a Junior on the Varsity Girl’s Basketball team who is ranked in the top 9 in Empire League. She scored eight points with two steals in the game against Kennedy. 

Thank you to Coach Derek Mitchell, Coach Nathaniel Rivera, and the Cypress High School’s Basketball teams for all their hard work and dedication as a team. 

The girl’s water polo team from Cypress High School has been making waves with their impressive performances in recent matches. Demonstrating exceptional skills and teamwork, they have won several challenging games. In a closely contested match against Tustin High School, the Cypress girls displayed their determination and skill, emerging victorious with a final score of 10-8. Their strategic plays and coordinated efforts were key factors in their success.

Continuing their winning streak, the team faced off against Valencia High School. With a strong defensive game and well-executed offensive maneuvers, the Cypress girls dominated the pool, clinching an 11-4 victory.

The team’s success continued as they took on Redlands East Valley High School. Through their relentless efforts and precise execution, the Cypress girls outperformed their opponents, resulting in a well-deserved win. The final score of 5-0 reflected their control of the game.

The girls’ hard work and commitment to excellence were evident in their matches against St. Lucy and Burroughs High School. With a final score of 15-8, they showcased their skills and teamwork, leaving no doubt about their capabilities in the pool.

Cypress Boys Wrestling has had a solid year, finishing undefeated in the Empire League season with a 4-0 record. Coach Lundberg kept these boys busy and working hard from 2:00 to 4:00.  The students had started with a blowout win against Tustin 57-24. The way points are scored is by doing certain moves that will get you those points. For example, a takedown gets you about 2 points during a match. Tustin was one of the many schools that Cypress had gone against during The Empire League.  Even after the Empire League, the Centurions continue to strive for victory. Varsity Wrestlers, Jimmy Romero and Vince Partington have been selected to compete in Masters on Friday, Feb 16th at 10 am. Pray for these guys that they come out victorious.

The Cypress Wrestling team Varsity wrestler Trent LeBaron stated that Valencia was their most challenging school. He had said that “they had the most competition.” Because they had gone undefeated in the High School Empire League some of the students had made it to CIF. LeBaron had said the biggest accomplishment for the team was that almost all the guys had made it to CIF. Which was not easy to come by and the wrestlers had put in hard work to finish at this level of success.

Cypress Girls Wrestling is also striving on their own. Keye Osede, a senior at Cypress High made history. She was named the CIF-SS Southern Division heavyweight champion. When she won she “had to keep in her excitement” just so she wouldn’t make others feel bad. That is what you call good sportsmanship. On December 29th the wrestling team competed at the Lady Black Watch and out of 51 teams they had placed 6th overall. They will continue to win matches and tournaments not just for themselves but for their team and Cypress as a whole. 

As the soccer season came to a close, players from our school’s soccer team took a moment to reflect on their experiences, challenges, and triumphs throughout the season.

Andrea Dominguez and Cesar Soriano, both senior captains, shared their insights into leadership and handling pressure. Dominguez emphasized the importance of resilience, reminding us that every outcome serves a purpose. Soriano highlighted the bond among teammates, a sentiment echoed by many, “Don’t take the moment for granted, it’ll be gone before you know it, ” Soriano said.  

Players like Lily Asham and Peter Batsaras looked to family and friends for inspiration. Lily Asham, a freshman, drew strength from her brother and church community, while Batsaras credited his dad for instilling a love for the sport. “No matter how tired you are or how hard it is, keep fighting,” Asham said.  

From facing tough opponents like Valencia to overcoming personal obstacles, each player recognized areas for improvement. Raul Mora and Olivia Linares emphasized agility and adaptability, while Katie Moore focused on leadership and distribution. “I am really grateful I got to be teammates and the captain of so many great people and create memories, ” Moore had said. 

From thrilling victories to hard-fought ties, the season was marked by unforgettable moments. Brian Rothery celebrated the camaraderie of the team, while Connor Somers cherished the energy of senior night. Ivy Nguyen found pride in the team’s perseverance, even in the face of adversity.

As the season concludes, players like Moore, a freshman goalkeeper, eagerly anticipate the future, ready to support their teammates and continue growing as individuals and as a team.

With each player’s unique perspective and contribution, this season was truly one to remember. As they hang up their cleats until next season, they leave behind a legacy of teamwork, determination, and passion for the game.

“We are so proud of our Boys and Girls soccer programs this season. Coach Jamir took our boys through a successful season (one game shy of CIF Championship competition). Coach Jamir has worked to develop our soccer program this year and the athletes have stepped up and are more cohesive, disciplined, and trained. Coach Woiemberghe has coached our Lady Centurions into CIF Round One. It has been an exciting season and our ladies are aggressive and talented on the pitch,” Pfeiffer said.