Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Cypress Visual Arts Participates in Color & Light Art Exhibition

photo by Grace Kim
AUHSD’s 23rd annual Color & Light Show was filled with visits from art lovers.

On March 18, 2024, works from visual arts students at Cypress High School were displayed at the annual art show hosted by Anaheim Union High School District. At the Center Gallery inside Anaheim Downtown Community Center, 20 high schools displayed student work. Despite the rainy weather, many teachers, students, faculty, and musicians gathered to make this event a success.

Music provided by the Loara High School Jazz Combo and foods and amenities from the Anaheim Hills Auxiliary accentuated the event. (photo by Grace Kim)

At the large gallery located in the center of Anaheim, hundreds of pieces were hung on walls and stands. The prize-winning works were displayed inside acrylic panels with award ribbons. Cypress High’s photography teacher Chris Johnson explained, “With divisions from jr. high and high school students, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards are presented for each category: $100 dollars for first place, $75 dollars 2nd place, and $50 dollars 3rd place. Students are able to win in multiple categories as well. The best-in-show earns an award of $200 dollars.”

Prize-winning artworks were displayed inside acrylic panels for people to see. (photo by Belle Paccione)

Ranging from photography, drawing, painting, ceramics, printmaking, and mixed-media, 300 different types of artworks, including those from scholars with disabilities were displayed. Cypress High’s Art teacher Ross Geerdes commented, “I like that it’s an all-district show so that we can see what students are doing at other schools. It’s kind of a nice opportunity for everyone to come together and share the artwork they’re doing and see what others are doing as well.”

Cypress VAPA teachers Mr. Geerdes (left) and Mr. Johnson enjoyed viewing student works across the entire district (photo by Grace Kim)

Seeing different ideas and creativity of students, superintendent Michael B. Matsuda was delighted to be a part of the event. “I think it’s really an opportunity for students to express their emotions about themselves and about the world. It’s great to see so many topics that students they are covering. There are a lot of expressions about love for their families and their communities––that’s what I see from the pieces,” he stated.

Each artwork holds important meaning to the artist. (photo by Belle Paccione)

The community and educational partners were able to celebrate and observe student creativity through this district-wide event. In addition to encouraging student achievement through the kind donations and attendance, the online event fostered community relationships by bringing together local businesses, organizations, and dignitaries to support arts education.