Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Leadership Development Through FBLA

Never+be+afraid+to+try+new+things%2C+Dheeraj+Koppu+said.+
photo by Belle Paccione
“Never be afraid to try new things,” Dheeraj Koppu said.

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is a club for technical students that help high school students prepare for careers. According to california FBLA, “ FBLA is a tradition of business education excellence whose work spans for more than 75 years reaching tens of millions of business leaders around the world. FBLA strengthens a school’s ability to prepare students for college and careers by providing extra curricular programs that integrate classroom instruction, apply learning in the context of business leadership, connect schools with business/industry and the community, and promote the spirit of free enterprise and competition. ”

With fourteen years of being the adviser for the FBLA club, Mr. Don Jay King helps the students connect to  careers in business, animations, marketing, entrepreneurship and lots of other different career pathways. This year in the 2024 competition events, Dheeraj Koppu won 1st place for business calculations then winning in third place Venkatsai Solasani for intro to business concepts. Lastly Koppu used problem solving and computer codes to win 4th place at the 2024 event. King said, “ It’s just a great opportunity for them to make connections with the business world. The judges are business professionals that are doing the careers that they are competing in so I’ve had kids get jobs, kids get scholarships and one get to UCLA.”

Treasurer Koppu said, “I manage the club’s funds and organize fundraisers. I also work with other board members and King to organize the FBLA competitions. I heard about the club in middle school from a friend and I already was interested in business so it inspired me to join the FBLA club. FBLA is more than just a competition and communication with others. Actually study for your events and prepare well ahead of time. Procrastination is your worst enemy. Anyone can join this club. We have people from all over grade levels that love taking this club. Just remember to never be afraid to try new things,” he said. 

Event Planner Tanisha Pidshetti said, “I organize various activities and events for the club, in fact some business skills I have learned are confidence, effectiveness, leadership and improving my communication. However I had heard about FBLA from a friend when I was in middle school. Since I was originally pursuing a career in the business field, I had joined FBLA in 9th grade to explore this interest. The club is very ambitious and filled with determined individuals who want to succeed although our club is not as popular and is low in numbers,” she said.

Member Abbinav Kolasani said, “The strengths of this club are that it prepares you for the future if you intend to major in business or even other majors like computer science or health care while it is also educational. Everyone has a good time at the competitions. I wouldn’t say there are any weaknesses in the club. And I just want to say for anyone who’s thinking about joining next year that they should definitely join because it’s a great club where you can have fun and learn a lot of  things you can apply in many different fields,” he said.

King said, “I don’t really have a favorite competition but there’s like seventy-five different events to compete in business/technology. So whatever works for them and helps them learn about their potential career. I just want the kids to succeed,” he said.