Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Magic of Prom Night

photo by Rehansa Kulatilleke
Students making their way to the dance floor of the magical night.

Prom night is a magical evening that marks the culmination of Cypress High School and the beginning of a new chapter for students. On April 27th, Cypress juniors and seniors danced the night away at AV Irvine with the theme of the notable movie, “La La Land”—a night filled with glamor, excitement, and the promise of unforgettable memories. As the music filled the air and twinkling lights set the scene, students stepped onto the dance floor, their hearts filled with excitement and expectation.

Water polo captain, Alie Potter, and ASB President Aidan Houston won the 2024, Prom King and Queen.                 Photo by Rehansa Kulatilleke

Towards the end of the night, the DJ announced who the Prom King and Queen were. As the nominees were making their way to the stage, 2024-25 ASB President Aimee Bunsirisert, introduced the crowd to the nominees for Prom King: Nicholas Montgomery, Aidan Houston, and Ethan Montoya while the nominees for Prom Queen were Tessah Short-Parent, Alie Potter, and Kailyn Krebs. The suspense was tangible as Bunsirisert finally revealed the winners:  with ASB President Aidan Houston and water polo captain Alie Potter winning the crowns. Confetti fell from the ceiling while Dancing Queen played in the background as the two celebrated their victories. 

Houston said, “I got up there, I looked down and I said, ‘Man, there’s a lot more people than I expected!’…then Ms. Binford put the crown on me…and I was like, ‘Man this is so heavy, it feels so real! I feel like a king!’ And everyone was cheering, and then I said congratulations to the guys next to me. With those guys, it’s all love, at the end of the day we’re all friends.”

Potter adds, “It was really unexpected because I didn’t even think I was going to be on the court, but it was fun… it was an experience that you kind of think about when you were little, you always hear about that, which was pretty cool.”

At around 7 PM, students were finally allowed into the venue where they would be met with photo booths, snacks, and the dance floor. As the night progressed, students piled out onto the dance floor where hit songs such as “Last Friday Night,” “Baby,” “Sweet Caroline,” and many more made their way to the playlist for the night. As the night continued, students proceeded to sing and dance along to the soundtrack along with playing arcade games which were also presented. Snacks like cookies, cupcakes, and brownies were offered to students. Students were also given the option to eat freshly made french fries as well as ice cream later on. 

Songs like “Baby,” “Last Friday Night,” and “Sweet Caroline” played during the night. (photo by Rehansa Kulatilleke)

The course of planning the 2024 prom theme started right after last year’s prom. Normally, students would be tasked with finding the venue for the next year’s prom first, and then students would follow up with theme ideas for the next year. This year, ASB selected a new venue, AV Irvine. This was mainly based on an issue last year when they realized how small last year’s venue was. Bunsirisert added, “We wanted somewhere different from places we’ve been to before–and the AV Irvine, it holds a lot of people which was a problem we had last year, it wasn’t big enough. The AV Irvine was a place a lot of people are using now because it’s all-inclusive. They have the whole package there so we don’t have to do too much hands-on planning and stuff like that.” Numerous themes were suggested as an option for ASB students, however, it was clear that the theme should be–“La La Land.” 

Prom night is not just an event, it is a cherished memory that will be treasured for years to come. It lives on in the photographs capturing smiling faces and bonds were strengthened by music and moonlight.