The Student News Site of Cypress High School

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Ordinary Angels, Based on a Real Story

photo by Carly Pedroza
Ordinary Angels is screening at Krikorian Metroplex 18, AMC and Regal Edwards.

The new faith-based drama film, “Ordinary Angels,” is based on a true story of a lady from Louisville, KN named Sharon Stevens who helped get 5-year-old Michelle Schmidts a life-saving liver transplant. The movie was released Feb. 22, 2024. The movie shows the struggles and challenges that the Schmidts family went through, trying to get Michelle a liver donor. 

The American director Jon Gunn has been directing movies since 1999. Gunn has directed movies such as… “Case For Christ” in 2017, “Do You Believe?” In 2015, “The Week” in 2014, “Like Dandelion Dust” in 2009, “My Date with Drew” in 2004 and many more dramas. 

The movie stars many actors including Alan Ritchson, Hilary Swank, Nancy Travis, Sykwalker Hughes, Amy Acker, Drew Powell, Tamala Jones and Emily Mitchell. The movie was filmed in Albany, NY in June of 2022.

Hilary Swank plays the lead part Sharon Stevens, the hairdresser from Louisville, KN who helps the family clear their debt and raise money for Michelle’s liver donor by starting fundraisers. Swank starred in movies such as “The Next Karate Kid,” “Cheaper By The Dozen,” “Something Borrowed” and many more. Swank has also won two Oscars for the films, “Boys Don’t Cry” and “Million Dollar Baby.”

In the movie, a struggling hairdresser reads about Schmidt’s story in a newspaper and finds her purpose again. Stevens helps Michelle’s widowed father raise money and pay off debt, by gathering the community together to help get his daughter a liver donor. Michelle’s father refused advice from those around him as his doubt grew bigger. Throughout the movie people see the struggles that an ordinary family can face. 

From displayed lessons to the moments of love and support, the movie shows the importance of partnership. By the end of the film the audience realizes how your life and/or other lives around you can be taken in an instant.