Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Ramadan 2024 Celebrated Worldwide

Many Americans have heard of the holy month, but don’t know how it works. So, what is Ramadan?
photo by UCF TODAY
A photo of dates and a lantern.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Muslim lunar calendar. Healthy adult Muslims fast in Ramadan from dawn until dusk. This includes abstaining from drinking, eating, immoral acts, and anger. Other acts of worship such as prayer, reading the Quran, and charity are also encouraged during the holy month.

Ramadan began on Monday, March 11, the date varies depending on the sighting of the new moon. Muslims believe that Ramadan is the month when the first verses of the holy book, the Quran were revealed.

Why does Ramadan start on different dates every year?

Ramadan begins 10 to 12 days earlier each year. This is because the Islamic calendar is based on the lunar Hijri calendar with 29 or 30 days long months. Because the lunar year is shorter than the solar year by 11 days.

Mohammed Abukhalaf (photo by Yazeed Albadarin)

The dawn-to-dusk fast lasts anywhere from 12 to 17 hours, depending on which part of the world you are in.

Ramadan isn’t just about not eating or drinking, it’s about worship. It’s about focusing on our Deen(religion or way of life) and removing bad habits, it’s about cultivating self-control, gratitude, and compassion, a time to self-reflect and improve. It’s about gaining greater God consciousness, a state of constant awareness of God. From that state, we gain discipline, and a greater incentive to do good and avoid wrongs, It’s a time to get closer to our religion, to God, to our family, and friends.

This year, more kids are encouraged to fast to get an understanding of what life feels like for the kids in Gaza and to show solidarity. A report by The United Nations says “In the north, one in six children under the age of two is acutely malnourished and media reports have indicated that at least 20 youngsters have died from starvation in recent days, including a 14-day-old baby.” and “Well over 30,000 people have now been killed amid intense daily Israeli bombardment.”

Mohammed Abukhalaf, a sophomore at Cypress High says “I love Ramadan, the vibes are great, we stay up a lot, we pray during the morning, you focus on yourself and your Deen it’s only between you and God, and at night you get to hang out with your friends, eat out…it’s just a holy month, you get to wash away your sins and feel holy again.” Abukhalaf talked about his experience being an

Yaman Atwat (photo by Yazeed Albadarin)

athlete during Ramadan “It used to be difficult, especially the first couple of years I started playing seriously on a team, it was tougher because we would have long games and it would be in hot weather, I still struggle sometimes but your faith has to be strong, you always know god is watching… I’ve gotten to points where you are really, really thirsty but I would just sleep or do anything to let the time pass by.” 

Yaman Atwat says “My experience with Ramadan, Alhamdulillah (praise to God or thank God) it’s always interesting. During the month, it’s tiring, it goes day by day.

And then when Eid (Eid al-Fitr means “festival of breaking the fast” and marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.) happens, it’s a beautiful time, everyone comes together.”