Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Student Athletes Balancing Life

photo by Cassandra Thurmond
Freshman Roxy Wilson balances her first semester in high school and playing on the tennis team.

Being a student athlete takes hard work and dedication, students give their time to their sport. Student Jackson Sierra, a JV wrestler, joined wrestling because he wanted to join a new sport. He brings his homework to practices, he asks Coach Lundberg to take breaks to do, homework, or to go to tutoring for an hour. He tries to finish homework before practice ends, but that doesn’t always happen.  

Tennis player Roxy Wilson says, “The pros and cons of being on the tennis team is the pressure I get during matches and practices, but I know my teammates will always support me no matter what.” Wilson is a varsity starter. . and spends 1-2 hours on her homework. She loves tennis because “She gets to learn new things every day and have fun while doing it. Meanwhile, she keeps up with her work.

Wesley Roczey is a former football athlete, but felt a lot of pressure was put on him. Some reasons he quit the team include needing to focus on academic work.

Freshman Volleyball player Katrina Sokolowski is on the varsity team for Cypress. Sokolowski has a routine to help her keep up with schoolwork and practices. She says, “Well I go to practice, go home, eat do my homework then I sleep.” Sokolowski keeps a balanced schedule for school work and practices. It is really difficult to keep up with school work, and to stay on a team, you have to keep a 2.0 GPA or higher to stay on a team and that puts a lot of pressure on student athletes.