Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Baseball Makes Cypress Proud this Season

photo by Stacie Codd
Baseball has endured a tough schedule so far this season.

Cypress’ Baseball team, CIF Division 1, is currently 6-5-1. Cypress has had a tough schedule, competing against nationally ranked high school teams such as Notre Dame, Huntington Beach, Orange Lutheran, and Marcus Texas.

Cypress fell short to Gahr High School in their first game, 6-2 on February 10th. Cypress bounced back in their second game beating Mira Costa High School 6-0. Facing three great high schools, Cypress unfortunately fell short to Notre Dame losing 3-9, and Huntington Beach losing 3-7, but fought hard to their win over Marcus Texas, coming out on top 7-6. 

After a loss to Orange Lutheran 1-2, Cypress then continued for a three-game win streak beating Damien 8-2, tied with JSerra Catholic 2-2, then rematched JSerra and won 4-2, and in Cypress’ most recent win, they beat Mira Costa once again, 8-7 on March 9th. On March 25th, Cypress will compete in a Vegas Tournament ending March 28th. 

With a total of 28 games in the season, only 17 games remain. Cypress’ only disadvantage is how young the team is. All pitchers are new, and many other starters came up from JV to Varsity. “A lot of young talent is present such as Cypress’ best pitcher, Junior Wyatt Rosales, and Cypress’ best hitter, Senior Catcher Nick Montgomery, but the team is still young and experience is missing,” said head coach John Weber. 

Even with such a young roster, Cypress was ranked as the fifth overall team by Orange County, sixth in the Southern Section, and ranked in the top 10 by the Los Angeles Times. They are ranked fourth in the Empire league with a record of 1-1, and their California rank is one hundred twenty first, according to Max Preps Rankings.