Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Is the Requirement of Service Hours Good or Bad?

Some people worry that removing the community service requirement might lead to a decrease in community involvement for students.

The Anaheim Union District has made a significant change to their graduation requirements. Now, high schoolers don’t have to do service hours to graduate. Some students think it’s a great idea because it gives them more freedom to focus on their studies and not stress over having to get them done. On the flip side, some worry that removing this requirement might lead to a decrease in community involvement and affect their college applications.

When students engage in service activities, they contribute to the community and make a positive impact on the lives of those in need. Whether it’s cleaning up a local park, assisting at a food drive, or tutoring younger students, every act of service matters. The freshman counselor Ms. Lu said, “Service hours can also help students explore their passions and interests.” Whether students are passionate about animals, the environment, or helping the elderly, there are countless service opportunities that align with their hobbies. By combining their interests with service, students can make a meaningful impact while doing something they love.

Freshman Paytin Gibson stated, “I love the fact that we aren’t required to do service hours to graduate because it helps us feel less stressed about a mandatory obligation, but we shouldn’t have to do it because it’s mandatory but because we want to.”  While other students share the same sentiment, “I’m glad we don’t have to do service hours anymore, but it’s a shame because the hours I’ve already collected are now kinda useless,” stated Freshman Erin Kim.

Colleges receive countless applications from students with similar grades and test scores. Volunteer hours can set students apart by showing their commitment to making a difference in their community. It demonstrates that they are proactive, compassionate, and willing to go the extra mile. Volunteering often involves taking on responsibilities and leadership roles. Colleges appreciate students who show initiative and take charge. Through volunteering, you can develop valuable leadership skills that will benefit you both in college and beyond. Volunteer work allows you to gain practical experience and apply what you’ve learned in the classroom to real-world situations. This hands-on experience can enhance your understanding of social issues and provide valuable insights that can enrich your college education.

When it comes to college applications, service hours can make students stand out from the crowd. Admissions officers love to see students who are actively involved in their communities and demonstrate a commitment to making the world a better place. By showcasing their service. “A question most UC colleges ask students is what have you done to help your community,” stated Ms. Lu. Volunteer work allows you to gain practical experience and apply what you’ve learned in the classroom to real-world situations. This hands-on experience can enhance your understanding of social issues and provide valuable insights that can enrich your college education.

Without service hours to share, it becomes challenging to demonstrate that dedication and passion for making a difference. It’s important to remember that community service isn’t just about fulfilling requirements; it’s about actively engaging with and contributing to the well-being of others. Community service offers valuable opportunities for personal growth and development. Not being able to share any service hours with a college means missing out on experiences that could have helped you develop important skills, such as leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving. It’s a chance to show colleges that you’re proactive, compassionate, and dedicated to making a positive impact.