Class of ‘23 Will Graduate with New Regalia Design

Western High School was the first to implement the regalia change, and now other schools in the district are following suit.

by Anelina Alegre, Editor-in-Chief

A recent change coming to the Class of ‘23 and all upcoming classes is a switch in graduation regalia. Traditional graduation regalia includes colored stoles and cords for different academic achievements, like honorable clubs or academic distinctions. 

However, the stoles were quite costly, ranging from around $30 per stole. While many students at Cypress don’t see a problem with these prices, the cost prohibited students of low income from receiving the regalia they earned with their hard work. In order to include students who can’t afford the traditional stoles and cords, the solution was to create a cheaper and more inclusive graduation regalia design. 

In place of the traditional cords and stoles, every graduate will get one stole decorated by customized pins that represent the award. The pins are designed to identify and display what each award is, compared to the old stoles and cords which are usually one solid color.

The regalia change was originally implemented by Western High School, and since the district advocates for student unity, the goal is to celebrate everything equally across the district.

Student Representative Omkar Katre explained that there are multiple benefits to the regalia change. The top reason for the switch is that there is currently a lack of standardization in regalia across the district, and the switch to pins would create unison with other AUHSD schools. For example, in one school CSF graduates get a ribbon. In another, they get a cord, and in another, they get nothing. Standardizing the regalia would ensure that students of the same achievement will get the same recognition. Another benefit is the significantly lower price. A pin would only cost $4 compared to a $30 stole. The district is even considering buying every graduate’s regalia for them if it’s within the budget.

The district also understands that there are many students unhappy with the change. On December 6th, there was a forum that gave AUHSD students the opportunity to ask questions and input their opinions. However, the change has to happen in one year or another, and if it keeps getting pushed back, the change will never happen. So, the district is working to make the transition easier for everyone. 

Katre asks students to “try and be okay with the change,” because in the end, graduation stoles do not define your entire high school experience. He says, “I know the change is hard, and I know it’s sad. For those that are not happy about this, I do apologize. The district is trying the best we can to make this a happier process. . . the end goal is to make a lot of people happy for the years to come.”