Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Harmonizing Academics and Music

photo by Belle Paccione
Band life is the best life!

Cypress High School’s band members exemplify dedication, camaraderie, and resilience. Through their shared passion for music, they navigate the challenges of academic life while fostering meaningful connections and creating unforgettable memories. As they continue to pursue their musical aspirations, they inspire others to dream big and strive for excellence in all aspects of life. Mr. Quirion, who has been teaching at Cypress since 1999. His duties include directing the Marching Band and Pageantry – Sound in Motion, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Jazz Band, Orchestra Club, Percussion, and Pageantry.  They boast a vibrant and talented band community, where students not only excel in their musical pursuits but also find ways to balance academics and extracurricular activities. Let’s dive into the experiences and perspectives of some of our band members:

1. Kristin Buttner, 9th Grade

Her Instrument is Saxophone. Favorite Pieces: “Glorious Victory” and “Cajun.” Favorite Artist: Drake. Kristin finds joy in playing the saxophone and cherishes the camaraderie within the band. Balancing academics with school life, she emphasizes the importance of time management and values the supportive environment within the band.

1. Joseph Arcilla, 12th Grade

His Instrument is an Alto Saxophone. Favorite Pieces to play is: Marches. Favorite Musician: Leo P.  Joseph enjoys playing marches and values the friendships he’s formed in the band. He highlights the Arcadia Band Review as a memorable performance and stresses the significance of managing time effectively to balance academics and band commitments.

1. Joshua Nguyen, 11th Grade

His Instrument is the trombone. Favorite Pieces: “Urban” and “Sleigh Ride.” Favorite Artist: Mac DeMarco or “The Sundays” Joshua appreciates the sense of community within the band and treasures the lasting friendships he’s made. Despite the challenges of balancing academics and band, he finds inspiration in the dedication of his peers and values the life lessons learned through music.

1. Alaa Hassouneh, 12th Grade 

Her Instruments are a Clarinet and Baton (during marching season) Favorite Piece: Korean Folk Song. Favorite Artist: Bruno Mars. Hassouneh reminisces about the beautiful moments during rehearsals and performances, emphasizing the electrifying atmosphere of band events. With support from their teacher, Mr. Q, and structured study periods, Alaa manages to excel with the support from her teacher, Mr. Q and Ms. G and structured study periods, Hassouneh manages to excel in both academics and music.

“I’m really proud of my students, they have come a long way, they also have improved musically and they are getting stronger by the day,” Quirion said.  Cypress High School band has learned that true harmony is not just found in the music they create but in the unity of their spirits.