The Student News Site of Cypress High School

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Lisa Frankenstein’s Gory Love Story

photo by Danica Dizon
The action really gets started when the monster comes back to life.

When people hear “Frankenstein,” they think of a scary skin-chilling film. The original film Frankenstein is about a mysterious creature that was created. This three-in-one classic comedy, horror, and romance film has entertaining moments. Lisa Frankenstein was directed by Zelda Williams and written by Diablo Cody. The new film was based on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. It is about a teenage girl moving to a new school after her mother’s murder. She starts on the wrong foot with her new “psycho” stepmother and along the way, she makes decisions that change the rest of her life. One night a corpse returns to life, and they are journeying to find a happy ending with new experiences.  In the end, Lisa and The Corpse fall in love based on their understanding of each other. 

The film stars Kathryn Newton (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quatanmania (2023), Cole Sprouse in The Suite Life of Zach & Cody (2005) The Suite Life on Deck (2008), Riverdale (2017), and Five Feet Apart (2019). Filipino actor Liza Soberano is most famous for playing her roles in romcoms and dramas, and lastly, Jenna Davis is most famous for her voicing roles on (M3GAN (2022), Treehouse Detectives (2018), and Vamparina (2017)).

The movie Lisa Frankenstein is about teen romances wanting to be, “anything more than love and understood, and in that it’s a great callback to teen romances from an earlier era,” said Alissa Wilkinson from The New York Times.  

Newton said The Creature, played by Cole Sprouse on how his role didn’t consist of many lines, and communication was mainly non-verbal. “And the whole thing is that Lisa is the only one who doesn’t hear him. She’s a girl who’s alone and thinks no one can hear her so she manifests a friend that literally can’t speak,” she said in an interview with The Wrap. 

Lisa Frankenstein is a film where you wouldn’t expect to see how it ends. Many people expected to see a gory horror film along with romance. It turned out to end with a teenage girl and a corpse living happily ever after. The film was given a 50% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 81% audience score. Overall the film was given 6.6 out of 10 stars by viewers on IMDB.