Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Lundberg, Wrestling Are Empire League Champions!

photo by Carly Pedroza
Varsity finished first in Empire League Championship!

The winter season is here in full force and so is the Cypress boys wrestling! The Empire League Champions’ season has been one of the best! The season started with a bang when Cypress defeated Pacifica 51-24. Since then the boys have been undefeated, with a record of 4-0. 

On January 23, 2024 Cypress defeated Tustin 57-24 making them number one in the Empire League Championship.

Junior Vince Partington wrestled at the Five Counties competition. photo by Carly Pedroza

Coach Lundberg and Coach Scott have been quite busy this year coaching boys varsity, JV, and frosh, along with girls varsity and JV. Lundberg has been coaching wrestling for 19 years as of this year, and also coached JV football for three years. Lundberg is very confident that many of his wrestlers will make it to CIF and even Masters this year. 

Junior Vince Partington, recently placed fifth at the five counties competition. Five counties is an invitation-only competition in which the best wrestlers throughout Orange County represent their school. Partington has been wrestling for the last five years, and loves his team and the overall thrill of the rewards he receives after all the hard work he has put in. While his coaches at Cypress have always been supportive, he also gives credit to his club coach, who has helped him “grow mentally and physically.” Partington hopes to continue wrestling after high school and get a scholarship to a D2 or D1 school. 

Although the season has just begun Cypress boys wrestling is on their way to victory hoping to make it to the CIF championships and even Masters!