The Student News Site of Cypress High School

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Top Five Scary Movies To Watch This Season

photo by Danica Dizon
Halloween means it’s time for horror movie viewing!

Scary movies are enjoyed everywhere during the spooky season of October. From thrillers to mysteries, scary movies have suspense that brings the audience in and then… BOO! An unexpected jumpscare comes out of the blue, drawing the audience in along with the plot and details. 

Starting number one is Scream 2 (1997). The horror movie is a part of the Scream franchise along with 4 other movies including Scream (1996), Scream 3 (2000), Scream 4 (2011), Scream (2022), and Scream 6 (2023). All the Scream movies are a horror classic about a manic under a mask, frantically stalking others for more victims only to be revealed in the end. Scream 2 has a rating of 81% for fresh rotten tomatoes. Scream has also gotten an 80% audience score.  

Coming in second is Friday the 13th (1980). The franchise Friday the 13th follows with other horror movie franchises. In the movie, Friday the 13th plot starts out at a summer camp in Crystal Lake. The counselors later find out they have been stalked by a killer and get eliminated struggling to survive the torture of suspense. Friday the 13th has gotten 63% of fresh rotten tomatoes and a 60% audience score. 

Coming in third is IT (2017).  IT is about multiple outcasts that face an entity throughout the summer. The outcasts have to face their fears against the clown also known as Pennywise.  

The movie has gotten an 86% of fresh rotten tomatoes and a 84% audience score.  

In fourth place is Get Out (2017) which was famously directed by Jordan Peele.  The movie is about a couple, Chris and Rosie. They are at a point in their relationship where she invites him to meet her parents. As the weekend goes by disturbing instances lead Chris to the truth, leaving the audience in suspense. Get Out has received a 98% of fresh rotten tomatoes and a 86% audience score. 

Lastly is The Exorcist, the film franchise is known for the sequels and prequels. The film overall originated from a horror novel. The franchise consist of The Exorcist (1973), Exorcist II: The Heretic (1997), The Exorcist III (1990), Exorcist: The Beginning (2004), Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005), and The Exorcist: Believer (2023). All the movies follow through the years ahead with a girl being demonically possessed. Her mother tries to save her through an exorcism. The movies are based on slightly actual events. 

Halloween is the time for spooky scary movies. Scary movies can be enjoyed with anyone and can be in the background while carving pumpkins, baking, watching a scary movie in general, or even while completing a spooky activity.