Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Centurions Look To Improve Record During Upcoming League Games

Linebacker Rocco Burdett Leads Defense
photo by Jayden Kay Linayao
Wide Receiver Michael Hubbard races down the field against Tesoro.

With a record of 3-3, Cypress High School’s football team’s early record pales in comparison to last season’s 6-0 start.

This season, Cypress beat La Mirada (28-0) and El Modena (31-14) and Pacifica (56-7). They lost to Corona del Mar (24-41), Lawndale (0-14), and Tesoro (14-31). Head Coach Rick Feldman said that he was satisfied with the team’s first three games, yet he did not feel that Cypress had done well enough in the game against Lawndale. Although the team has lost five of their star players due to injuries, notably senior quarterback Aidan Houston, they are hoping for a swift recovery to strive for the rest of the remaining season.

Team standouts include Houston, along with varsity linebacker Rocco Burdett. Feldman described Burdett as “the quarterback of the defense.”

Not only did the varsity team have standouts, but so did the freshman team. The Cypress freshman team recently broke a record against Lawndale. A game-winning 48-yard kick made by Panagiotis Batsaras was the longest kick in Cypress High School freshman football history. After the coaches saw what Batsaras was capable of with the kick, they moved Batsaras up to varsity and he suited up as the backup kicker for the Homecoming game against Tesoro.

As the season continues, Cypress football players will try to fill in for their injured teammates, to hopefully come out on top with a winning record and a successful season, so they can go back to CIF to win it all over again, as they have done for the past three years.