Sports Signings Show Strength of CHS Athletics

photo by Anelina Alegre

Cypress is proud to congratulate these student athletes and their years of commitment to their sport.

by Reid Hulst, Staff Writer

February 1st, 2023 was an exciting day for Cypress as the best and brightest athletes officially signed their letters of intent for their respective colleges. The lineup included beach volleyball player Zoey Henson, Volleyball player Tarin Rueckert, Golf star Cristen Legaspi, softball player Chloe Shuff, football player Trevor Monteleone, baseball player Abbrie Covarrubias and baseball player Matthew Morrell. The event was held in the Cypress media center and many proud parents and fellow students were in attendance.

Cypress’s volleyball prospects, Henson and Rueckert, credited their success to “lots of family support as well as a healthy passion” for their respective sports in both cases. Henson will be attending the University of Washington and Rueckert will be attending Cal Lutheran this coming fall semester.

As for Cypress girls golf captain, Legaspi, she aims to take her talents to the Hawaii Pacific University following her final tournament of her high school career where she finished 32nd in the state. Softball also made its acquaintance during the signings as girls softball player Chloe Shuff is headed to Missouri Valley College.

Cypress Football player Monteleone came off an eventful season as the Centurions reached the CIF finals for the third time in 15 years. The skilled wide receiver is heading to Western Colorado University “I though about this ever since I was small, back when I first started playing.” He added, “It’s good to know that all my hard work has paid off.”

Ending with the pair, Covarrubias signed with USC with the goal of playing baseball for them. He’s been a four year varsity member, league MVP, and gold glove winning athlete. Also signing for baseball is Morrell, also known for his talents in football. Morrell aims to take his talents to Oregon State University to pursue his love for baseball. When asked if he had any advice to any upcoming talents he said: “Chase your dreams. Don’t let other people tell you you can’t do something you’re driven to do. Believe in yourself.”

Following the introductory celebrations, each of Cypress’s brightest student athletes signed the letters of intent, and are ready to compete next year.