Is The New iPhone 14 Worth It?

photo by Deborah Son

Sophomore Dheeraj Koppu said he liked the improved camera and screen.

by Brianna Naranjo, Features Editor

Apple never disappoints when releasing their brand new annual version of the iPhone, and 2022 has been no different by providing us with the iPhone 14. 

The new iPhone 14, Pro, and Pro Max have been available since September 16, 2022 and the iPhone 14 Plus was launched on October 7, 2022. Apple has really outdone themselves by creating an iPhone that comes in different colors, sizes, and upgrades that previous iPhones do not have. 

The regular iPhone 14 has 6.1 inch OLED screen and the iPhone 14 Plus has a 6.7 inch OLED screen. The models iPhone 14 and 14 Plus are available in Midnight, Purple, Starlight, PRODUCT Red, and Blue. The bigger models iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max come in Deep Purple, Gold, Silver, and Space Black.

An upgrade that came with the iPhone 14 is the front camera changed to autofocus compared to the fixed focus. This added feature will make your selfies look incredible. Adding on to the camera and video features, the new Action Mode is able to provide a smoother stabilization when you take videos. To make things even better, there is now a display that provides twice as much brightness in the sun compared to past iPhones. This display is called the Super Retina XDR. It even has a 65% larger camera sensor than other iPhones. 

“The cameras are way better this year and the screen is pretty bright, so I can read it better outside,”  said sophomore student Dheeraj Koppu.

This new iPhone has not only brought new camera upgrades, but also a few safety precautions. This phone now includes an emergency SOS via satellite which could reach emergency services at any time. This includes the moments that you do not have a Wi-Fi connection or cell service. Another great tool that could be useful at any time is the brand new Crash Detection that can detect when you have been in a severe car crash. This gadget would then proceed to call emergency services and tell the people you have listed your emergency contacts where you are. 

Apple has even extended the battery life of this new iPhone model. It lasts 29 hours when video playback is used on the iPhone 14 Plus and 26 hours when video playback is used on the iPhone 14. The iPhone 13’s battery only lasted up to 19 hours of video playback, so if battery life is crucial in your daily life you should definitely consider purchasing the brand new iPhone. 

This new model is very promising and has been purchased all over the world due to its amazing upgrades. It fits every person’s personality and can be customized to everyone’s liking. The new iPhone 14will be a good investment and satisfy the needs of the person who purchased it.