The Student News Site of Cypress High School

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Centurion Spotlight

Check Out Our Instagram: @cypressjournalism
https://www.instagram.com/cypressjournalism/
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Band and Pageantry Show Their Centurion Pride

photo by Mr. Meza
Band and Pageantry performed at the Homecoming game as well as the CHS 50th Anniversary Open House.

Band Teacher Mr. James Quirion, has been teaching at Cypress since 1999 and this year plans on teaching band and percussion new music such as “La Nouba” from Cirque du Soleil. Cirque du Soleil is a major Quebec-based group that makes  high-quality artistic entertainment.

Band will also learn dance songs for parades, and the upcoming holiday concert. Mr Quirion started music, so he could share his passion with students who love music like he does. As he says, “Learning new music is like learning a new language.” Every band student takes time to learn new music. 

Students in Band and Pageantry have fostered a strong connection throughout the season. Pageantry member Summer Welch, joined pageantry because when she “first saw pageantry perform at Lexington, [she] thought the costumes and flags and just the overall composition of the show were so pretty… and it immediately spoke to me as something I wanted to be a part of.” 

In pageantry, Welch has grown as a person and has a great bond with everyone else on the team, including other leaders Devan Forester and Connor Shearin. She says the best thing about Pageantry is “seeing the pride after our new members learn their work at a faster pace than we did last year and pull it off during football games.” 

Already this year, Band has played at the Varsity football games, the Homecoming half-time show, the freshman assembly and the 50th Anniversary open house. Students in band and pageantry have a strong bond when playing together, and we can see that on the field when they perform.